Hello fellow brides to be . I hope that you all are well. With the costs of weddings these days a lot of us try our hand at various DIY projects. I decided to try make my own rock candy. I found a recipe on the internet which seemed quite simple and if I followed the instructions to the T my rock candy would be ready in a week.
Well after a week my candy still looked the same way as it did when I started, so I left it for another week. After the week passed still nothing. At this stage I was ready to give and I kinda did, just left it to sit and crystallize if it eventually decided to.
Below is the image of my end result, eventually after a patient 3-4 weeks I had grown my very own rock candy.
Not too bad for a first attempt. However if you intend doing this for your wedding please allow plenty of time for it to develop otherwise just buy ready made rock candy – it will probably work out better and save you a lot of time. If you in South Africa you can get from here.
If you still consider trying it out here’s the recipe I used. I got it from this website
- 4 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- Extra Sugar (for rolling your sticks in)
- Glass Jar with a lid (preferably plastic lid)
- Wooden skewers/sticks
- Boil the water in the saucepan over a medium heat. Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water, stirring continuously, until the water becomes clear. Don’t let the solution get too hot or cook too long. If you overheat the sugar solution you’ll make hard candy, which is nice, but not what we’re going for here.
- Remove the sugar water from the heat and carefully pour into a clean glass jar. Leave a gap at the top of the jar.
- Dampen your wooden skewers or sticks with water (where you want the crystals to form) and then roll the damp area in the extra sugar. Allow this to dry.
- Make holes in your lid. Enough holes for each stick and a few more so that air will be able to circulate.
- Push your dried skewers through the holes in the lid. Place the lid on the jar with the sticks in the sugar solution. Allow this to sit for about a week.
- Remove the sticks from the jar when the crystals have formed to the size you like.
Good luck and happy planning